Natural remedies for hay fever
Spring and summer are such a wonderful time of year despite the challenging and sad times that many of us are faced with currently.
The sun shining is a little ray of hope and light to brighten our dulled senses and awaken our cells with some well needed Vitamin D! But what about those that suffer with these high pollen counts?
Pollen particles contain a protein that causes inflammation, irritation and swelling of the nasal passages, but can also affect the eyes and the throat. The pollen (the allergen) causes the release of a substance known as an inflammatory mediator called histamine. It is the histamine that influences the symptoms of ‘hay fever’ in the body.
The symptoms of hay fever can often be split into two categories:
- Sinus congestion, watery eyes, copious mucus, itchy nose
- Red eyes, itchy eyes, inflamed nose and mucus membranes, headache
These are a reflection of our current state of health. Those of us who are more prone to mucus accumulations will tend to suffer more from runny eyes and nose. Those who perhaps have a greater tendency towards hot, irritated and itching skin conditions will suffer more from itching and red eyes, ears and throat.
Luckily, help is also at hand with some of nature’s finest remedies:
- TURMERIC & GINGER
Naturally hot, spicy and stimulating, these herbs either in combination or separately will stimulate the system, warm the digestion and improve nutrient assimilation. The combination of these two herbs is a specific remedy for allergic rhinitis, hay fever and colds.
An excellent herb for releasing stuck congestion and mucus around the nose and a ‘heavy head’. Sip on some peppermint tea, even better buy some fresh mint and pop the leaves in hot water to infuse
Soothes the lungs and throat and acts as an expectorant.
- ALOE VERA
A natural cooling anti-inflammatory, soothing hot and irritated mucus membranes throughout the body. It’s a natural way of cleansing your liver and helping to reduce allergic response from the immune system. Organic Aloe Vera does not contain sodium benzoate, that is so often a causative factor in allergies.
- ROIBOOS (REDBUSH TEA)
A delicious and flavourful caffeine-free alternative to black and green tea from South Africa. We also praise this tea for its abundance of healing and anti-inflammatory properties as it is packed with health and immune boosting antioxidants. It’s one of the most popular teas on our RejuvaDetox wellness programme and one that clients request when they enjoy their treatments with us at Health’s Angels.
Other diet and lifestyle tips to help ease hay fever symptoms
- For 3-5 days drink plenty of hot water with grated fresh ginger or honey, this will help to eliminate toxins and regulate digestion.
- Favour foods that are warm and nourishing but easy to digest such as soups, grains and leafy green vegetables.
- Include helpful herbs for the digestion such as cumin, coriander, fennel and ginger (strong, supported digestion is the foundation for a healthy immune system).
- Both vitamins C and D contribute to the normal function of the immune system, so increasing their intake can help. Good sources of vitamin C include oranges, lemons, peppers and broccoli, while good dietary sources of vitamin D include oily fish, eggs and mushrooms.
- Avoid substances which are mucus producing such as dairy products, wheat and sugar.
- Avoid cold foods such as iced water. These reduce digestive capacity and can create stagnation.
- Eat locally produced honey. Local bees make local honey, which means the pollen they collect and bring back to the hive is all sourced from local plants. Since many seasonal allergies are caused by these same plants, eating honey that contains that pollen can possibly combat those allergies.
With over 10 million people in the UK suffering from some aspect of hay fever, taking excellent quality supplements to help as a natural solution to relieving symptoms is an absolute must as we have experienced with our clients in clinic over the last 20 years.
A unique and powerful blend of juices naturally rich in antioxidants ( high doses of Vitamin A and C)
A daily shot (or 3 ) of this delicious juice drink supplies powerful nutrients that give the body energy and vitality whilst maintaining a healthy immune system as well as neutralising free radicals throughout the body
Grapine Hi Potency
Grapine high-Potency is a blend of potent antioxidants
Grapine’s proanthocyanidins help protect from oxidative damage and are quickly absorbed into the body resulting in a powerful supplement to support your immune system and ease allergies and hay fever symptoms.
We suggest taking the 2 above coupled with one of the below depending on your type of hay fever symptoms;
For sinus and upper respiratory issues and irritations;
Fenugreek and Thyme
For chestiness issues, coughing, wheezing etc
Fenugreek and Fennel
Contact Vanessa to book a free consultation below: